Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Script Revisions Dun Dun DUN!!!

The Proposition


Written by Joseph Coleman


In man’s pursuit of happiness does he become blind.



Fade in


Int. Dark Void - Young, well dressed man [Sax] playing the saxophone with grace and energy.



Cut To


Int. Hospital Room

(door slams shut)



Extreme Close up


Sax opens eyes



Doctor


How are you today?



Sax


Could be better without the asthma [laughs]. What irony, huh?



Doctor


Well, it’s good you’re making the best of it. I read the review of your performance at the Playhouse. I’m proud of you. And I’m sure your parents would have been too.



Sax


I appreciate that, Pam. Things are finally starting to look up. But my asthma, though. I have been tired a lot lately. This last attack took a lot of energy out of me.



The doctor looks down with a worried expression.



Sax


Pam?



Doctor


There is something I need to tell you, James. Your... The results to your lung tests came back and--



Sax

(voice trembling)


And what Pam?



Doctor


We found that you don’t have asthma,but some form of Lymphangioleiomyomatosis.



Sax

(gasps)

Wha...



Doctor


It’s a very rare lung disease, and there is no known cure.



Sax


And you’re just now finding this out?!



Doctor


The symptoms of the disease mimic that of asthma. That’s why its so hard to catch at an early stage. The fact that you have even contracted this disease has turned the medical world on its head.


Sax


What are you telling me?



Doctor


That you are the first male to have ever been affected by LAM, some mutated form of it.



Sax


How bad is it, Pam?



Doctor


You have sustained a significant amount of damage to your lungs. Your only viable option may be to get a transplant.



Sax slumps over in disbelief, trembling at what he has learned.



Doctor


Now, we can put you on the donor list and --


Sax raises from his seat in anger.


Sax


And what then?! In the mean time, I just waste away like mom? This is the best you can do?!



Doctor


Listen to me, I’m speaking as your friend now. It’s not fair, I know. But this is a fight you cannot walk away from. It is nothing short of a miracle that you are even able to play music in your condition. Whatever it is that is driving you, you can’t lose it.




Sax staggers back.



Sax


It wasn’t supposed to be like this. Not like this. I was just a little tired.


Doctor


I’m sorry, James. I’ll do whatever I can to get you on that list. Just have faith.



Sax


That’s all have right now.



Trying desperately to keep her composure, the doctor proceeds leave the room.



Cut To


Close Up

Sax hangs his head low in depression.



Fades to black


(Two Months Later)


Ext. Sax’s Neighborhood - Day


A noticeably weaker, but more resolved Sax makes his way back to his home.


Passing Lady


Hey, Sax! Hows it goin’?




Sax


Keeping a pep in my step [laughs].



Passing Lady


Hardly been seeing you around as of late. The neighborhood’s been worried about you.



Sax


Yeah, I’ve been keeping to myself ever since I found out I was sick.



Passing Lady


I heard about that. I’m sorry that happened to you. Are you still able to play the saxophone in your condition?



Sax


Not as well as I want, but that’s ok. I’m still breathing, well barely [laughs].



Passing Lady


I see you still have your sense of humor.



Sax


Whatever helps me through the day. But I have to get goin. Tell your girl I said hello.



Passing Lady


Ok, will do!





Cut To



Int. Hallway of Sax’s Home


Sax enters through the door way and makes his way towards the kitchen.



Sax


Let’s see, what is on the menu today?



Cut To


Close Up - Door


A white letter falls from the mail slot at the bottom of the door.



Cut To


Sax sees the letter as it falls to to the floor.




Cut To


Close up


Sax looks through the blinds of his door to catch the individual who put the mail in his door slot but sees no one.



Cut to


Sax stares with curiosity at the note and begins to open it.



Dr. Bloom

(voice over)


Dear Mr. Saxton, It is with great pleasure that I inform you of a special program that you have been elected to take part in. I, along with a team of the world’s top surgeons, have come together to offer alternative means to those who are in dire need of transplant surgery. If you so choose to take part in our program, I would be more than happy to speak with you. Dr. Bloom.



Cut To


Close Up - Sax in contemplation




Cross Fade


Ext. Bloom’s office




Sax stares at the entrance as he confirms his decision to visit Dr. Bloom. He walks through the door.



Cross Fade

Sax sits in waiting room to see Dr. Bloom



Secretary


Dr. Bloom will see you now.



Sax

Thanks.



Sax knocks on Dr. Bloom’s door.



Dr. Bloom


Come in.



Sax enters the office



Dr. Bloom


It is a pleasure to meet you Mr. Saxton. Take a seat.



Sax sits before the doctor.



Dr. Bloom


Mr. James Saxton, is it?



Sax


Yes

Dr. Bloom


So, Mr. Saxton, to what do I owe the nature of your visit?



Sax places the letter he received onto Dr. Bloom’s desk.



Sax


I came to ask about this program that I am eligible for?


Dr. Bloom


You know, I was a father once. I had a daughter named. Her name was Sarah. She had just graduated college at the top of her class. Her dream was to travel the world. She reveled in the thought that there was more to life beyond the horizon. Unfortunately, she fell ill. The doctors had informed me that her heart was failing and she was in need of a transplant. Immediately, she was put on the donor’s list. And that is where she stayed until her death three years later. While my daughter was dying, her physicians would stare at her like she was less than human. All they saw was the down payment on their brand new Convertible. They would just pump her full of meds and send her home. Let me tell you, not from the pits of hell is there a more painful tragedy than watching your child wither away before you.



Sax looks on in sorrow as he is reminded of his mother’s death.



Dr. Bloom


You know what this feels like?



Sax


Yes, I do. I lost my mother to heart disease as well,



Dr. Bloom


Mr. Saxton, I was a broken man when I lost my daughter. But I soon found purpose again. I decided to dedicate my life to helping those who can not be helped. No parent deserves to bury their child nor does a child deserved to grow up without knowing a mother’s love.


And this leads us back to why you and I have met. I run a private program that seeks to help those on the organ donor transplant list receive said organs that they would otherwise die waiting for.



Sax


Wait, how is that possible? The hospital isn’t going to let you perform surgeries at your discretion.



Dr. Bloom


Who said I worked in the hospital?



Sax becomes alarmed



Sax


Are you not a licensed doctor?



Dr. Bloom


I am a doctor of sorts.



Sax


This doesn’t feel right. I don’t want any part of this.



Dr. Bloom


How long do you think the hospital is going to keep you alive before they deem you as unprofitable.



No longer comfortable with Dr. Bloom, Sax rushes out of the doctor’s office.



Dr. Bloom


I am simply a man who wants to help you. Mr. Saxton,



Sax


No! Stay away from me!



Cut to


Ext. Entrance to Dr. Bloom’s office building.


Sax storms out of the building in a panic, and turns the corner. He begins to cough as he tries to catch his wind.



Fades to black


Fade in


Int. Sax room



Close up of Sax sleeping.



(Phone rings)



Cut To


Sax answers phone.



Sax


Hello?



Doctor

(saddened)

James?



Sax


Dr. Stacey?



Doctor


Hello, James.



Sax


What’s up Pam? Call to deliver me some good news?


Doctor


James, I have been informed that we have found a possible match for you, but --



Sax

(ecstatically)


Yes! Oh my god, Pam. You don’t understand how much I hoped for this. I can get my life back.



Doctor


James, listen to me. You have been declared ineligible for the transplant.



Sax is stunned by what he has heard.



Doctor


James? James? Are you there? Speak to me.



Sax

(solemnly)


But all those tests I took. You told me personally that everything was going as planned.



Doctor


The board reviewed your case and found that you were not of sound condition for any surgery.



Sax

(angrily)


Not of sound condition?! I’m fucking dying here. I had... Everything riding on the operation. What happened to doing whatever you can?



Doctor


I’m sor--



Sax


No! Fuck sorry! Sorry is not going to give me my life back. The only thing that kept me going was the hope that you had given me. And now I don’t even have that anymore. What good has ever come of my life? Nothing. It’s just not fair, to have everything that you cherish stripped away from you. And all people can say is that they’re sorry and there’s nothing they can do. Back to your greedy lives you go while we’re damned to suffer.


Sax drops the phone as he grabs his chest in pain. All the pent up anguish that Sax had suppressed came flooding back ten fold.



Sax

(gasps)


My chest!


Sax staggers out of the kitchen and falls to his knees, as he tries to catch his breath.


Cut To


Sax sits himself up.



Close up


Sax perches a cold, hollow gaze towards the lit furnace.



Dr. Bloom

(voiceover)


How long do you think the hospital is going to keep you alive before they deem you as unprofitable.



Cut To


Int. Hall of Doctor Bloom’s Facility - Dark


Sax bursts into Dr. Bloom’s office



Cut To

Dr. Bloom reclines in chair



Sax


Dr. Bloom, are your services still available?



Dr. Bloom


My services are always available.



Sax


Good, because you’re hired. I want that transplant.



Cut To


Close Up - Doctor Bloom nods in acceptance.



Sax


How soon can you get me on the table?



Dr. Bloom


I’ll arrange everything as soon as we finish negotiations.



Sax


Of course, nothing’s free right?



Dr. Bloom


That is where you are wrong, Mr. Saxton. I desire nothing more from you than a simple thank you. But you must understand, I am a man who indulges only in the most premium quality of product. This is a philosophy that I want to instill in you. The availability of organs are ever declining, right? Wrong. Everyday, you walk among the world’s greatest untapped resource.

Cut To


Close Up - Sax’s contemplative expression.


Cut To - Dr. Bloom


Fresh organs, Mr. Saxton. Organs that are of much higher efficiency rate than what are taken from the dead. You want a quality life, Mr. Saxton? Then you need quality organs.



Fades to Black


Fades in


Int. Sax’s room - dark


Sax caresses his Saxophone



Doorbell Rings



Sax turns his attention to the door.



Cut to


Sax walks towards the door. He looks down to see the file of an individual lying at the foot of the door.



Cut to


Sax picks the file and begins to read it.



Cut To


(clunk)


Sax eyes the floor to see a handgun lying before him.



Cut To


Sax picks up the gun and stares at it intensely with knowledge of its purpose.


Cut To


Ext. Suburban Neighborhood


A man matching the profile found in the document delivered to Sax is seen getting into his car.



Cut To


Int. Car


Man proceeds to start car. From beneath the shadows behind the man comes a hand holding a gun. The tip of the barrel pushes into the back of the man’s head, freezing him in fear.



Sax


Drive.



Cut To


Ext. Abandoned area - Night


Car driving to dense shadowed area.



Cut To


Int. Car



Sax


Stop the car.



Cut To



Man trembling in fear.



Sax

(click)


Sorry about this.



Man


Wai..wai...wait..wai--



(gunshot)



Cut to


Ext. Parked car



Sax pulls body out of car and spreads him out on the ground.



Cut To


Close up


Sax rips open the man’s shirt to expose his chest. Trembling and gagging at what has and will transpire, Sax takes a knife and slices through the man’s chest.



Fade to Black



Cut To


Int. Dr. Bloom’s Facility


Sax, gasping with every step, makes his way towards Dr. Bloom’s office with the cooler containing the organs in hand.



Cut To


Int. Dr. Bloom’s Office


Sax enters Dr. Bloom’s office.



Sax


Dr. Bloom. Dr. Bloom, I have the organs.



Silence rips through the office.



Sax


Dr. Bloom?



Sax soon becomes horrified at the revelation. The is no office, only remnants of a time long forgotten.



Sax


No. No. No! No! Bloom where are you! Speak to me!



Sax collapses on the floor after overexerting his body.



Sax

(gasping)

I just wanted to live. I just..wanted to live.



Cut To Black.


No comments:

Post a Comment